Thursday 24 February 2011

Whilst Walking Through the Fields in May


Whilst walking through the fields in May

The fields of misty morning dew

I saw the sunlight paint the sky

A light and lazy pastel blue

I heard the birds, the singing birds

Break out in flight across the dawn

Above the trees all gold and green

Just as the day began to yawn



I heard the paddle-patted splash of Oxford city boating crew

I heard the chimes of village church bells

Drowning under chimes anew

I saw the mist, the sinking mist

Upon the meadows, rich and deep

I spied the puff of clouds

Through which the morning heat began to seep



I felt the breeze, the dancing breeze

Give early temperance to the balm

I let the hazy spires beyond

Envelop me in summer calm

I heard the din, the hollow din

of morning shoppers leaving cars

I saw men fishing on the banks

With boxes, rods and open jars



I walked from dawn right through 'til dusk

Ten miles a stretch, not looking back

A pen, a camera, flask and fruit

A copy of Schott's Almanac

At last the sun fell through the skies

My vision stuttered to a creep

And for my prize, the longing sighs

I heard the fields fall asleep



G Knapton

(Copyright)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spin Rhetorica; or Grin: or If I Were Called In

  If I were called in to construct a belief system, I should make use of birds A codified catalogue of values and full-grown whole known lur...

The House of Words

The House of Words
built like a novel

She Travels Through Books

She Travels Through Books
the green light girl