Wednesday 28 October 2020

Storm Chaser

 

I had a dream about you:



You lived with your family way out in the country


Rich green grass stretched out in square textured patches to the blue horizon


An American quilt of English lawns



We were having dinner outside


After, we were playing with a tennis ball


And then I was over-arm bowling at you with a table-tennis ball


Cricket style



It was summer


Dusk fell lightly on us 


We conversed as dining people do


Relaxed on the whole, if a little affected, by our roles in the civil occasion


A fourth adult was present 


A man 


Possibly a friend of yours



At some point I accidentally threw the ball beyond Matthew


And I ran up behind your row of buildings to the back gardens


To retrieve it



Here I found a series of narrowboat locks


Glimmering surrealism like sunken fish tanks in a Dali frame


The ball bobbing gingerly on the surface of one


The water: astronomy blue like mystic dates


I made as if to scoop it out at which point your husband made a sound like 


“Don’t! I’ll do it. You’ll annoy the neighbours. They're our mates."



They say all dreams are wish fulfillment


It makes sense


I wasn’t even trying to retrieve what we’ve lost


What I’ve lost : all dreams are egoic


Nor was I trying to resolve the thing



I was transporting us to a time and place where resolution had cleared the weather for


Another shot at that clear-sky thing we did


To a version of me who had stopped chasing storms



Those fields were so green! 


I know


It was all just a silly dream


...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spin Rhetorica; or Grin: or If I Were Called In

  If I were called in to construct a belief system, I should make use of birds A codified catalogue of values and full-grown whole known lur...

The House of Words

The House of Words
built like a novel

She Travels Through Books

She Travels Through Books
the green light girl